Environmental Leadership 2018
20 September 2018
Mondelez International - Cocoa Life, Mondelez International's sustainable cocoa sourcing programme
Cocoa Life is an industry-leading, independently verified programme that aims to support sustainable cocoa farming, securing a positive future for cocoa farmers, their families, and their communities.
- Environmental sustainability
- Sustainable food systems
Cocoa Life directly connects buyers to farmers in order to turn them from subsistence operations to sustainable businesses, by growing crop yields, driving up incomes, and strengthening community development.
Without cocoa, there is no chocolate. Without the next cocoa farming generation, there is no cocoa. Mondelez is using its scale as the world's largest chocolate maker to drive positive change for the communities on which it depends. It is transforming cocoa farming through a unique approach rooted in directly implementing sustainability within the cocoa supply chain. Working with NGOs, it focuses on transformation in five areas:
- Farming – Facilitating the adoption of improved agricultural practices and providing access to improved planting materials, crop protection, and financial services
- Community – Empowering communities to lead their own development
- Youth – Encouraging quality education and making cocoa farming a more attractive profession
- Livelihoods – Improving access to financial services and promoting entrepreneurship and additional income
- Environment – Maintaining cocoa ecosystems and protecting the landscape
From its inception in 2012 to the start of 2017, Cocoa Life has reached 92,000 cocoa farmers in 861 communities. By 2022, Mondelez will have invested $400m in order to reach 200,000 farmers and benefit 1m people in cocoa growing communities in Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Indonesia, Brazil, Dominican Republic, and India.