Exports snapshot: Full Year 2017
19 July 2017
We publish regular reports outlining the latest UK food and drink export statistics, which can help your company to prioritise markets for exporting. Our reports include: data on the UK's top food and drink exports, key export markets, areas for growth, and updates on FDF's trade-related policy work.
TopicsDownload (725 kb)
- Full year 2017 exports of food and drink exceeded £22bn, up 9.7% on 2016.
- Overall exports to EU markets (+ 10.3%) of food and drink outperformed those to non-EU markets (+ 8.9%), bringing total EU exports to £13.3bn and its overall share to 60.2%.
- The top 5 export markets contributed to over 50% of our total food and drink export value, while the top 20 markets in the chart below contributed to 80% of total value.
- Exports of branded goods saw growth of 12.1% to £5.8bn compared to 2016, with the fastest growth reported to non-EU markets (+ 16.6%).
- The food and drink trade deficit increased by 7.4% in 2017.
- Over the past 10 years from 2007 to 2017 food and drink exports have grown by 93%, with an average annual growth rate of 7%.
- Despite continued strength in UK food and drink exports to non-EU markets over the past 20 years, the UK currently lags behind EU counterparts with a lower share of overall EU28 exports to non-EU countries of the larger EU nations.