A great opportunity to join the Diet & Health team at the Food and Drink Federation and working closely with our policy experts across a range of diet, health and nutrition topics.
Job Type Permanent
Location Central London (Bloomsbury)
Salary £38 - £40k with excellent benefits including 25 days holiday, private healthcare, leisure travel insurance, gym subsidy, interest-free season ticket loan and cycle-to-work scheme
Hours 35 hours per week; hybrid working option
Are you passionate about working with food companies and shaping policies that impact diet, health, and nutrition? We are seeking a dynamic and knowledgeable individual to join our team as a Senior Diet and Health Executive. You will play a vital role in working closely with the UK Diet and Health Policy Manager in advising members on scientific, technological and regulatory developments in respect of these policies and promoting industry’s work to wider stakeholders.
- Reformulation policy: Lead FDF’s policy development on reformulation focusing on sugars, calories, and salt; working with our members, FDF colleagues and external stakeholders to showcase industry progress.
- Health metrics: Lead FDF’s policy development on health metrics as part of the Food Data Transparency Partnership, including liaison with members and running the FDF health metrics working group.
- Industry consultation: Engage with the food industry to develop and review a broad range of policy positions, complete public consultations and exchange information and views with Government and a wide range of organisations and groups.
- Representation: Support the UK Diet and Health Policy Manager in representing our policies to government bodies, including the Department of Health and Social Care, Welsh Government, retailers, food service, and consumer organisations.
- Internal briefing: Assist in ensuring internal colleagues are well-informed on nutritional matters, contributing to media inquiries, and briefing public affairs colleagues.
- Research and evaluation: Stay updated on relevant research, critically evaluating evidence relating to diet and health policies to inform FDF's positions.
- Communication: Communicate clearly and accurately FDF’s policies, ensuring the diet and health section on the FDF website is up to date. Demonstrate the ability to communicate complex policies verbally and in writing to technical experts and non-scientists.
- Industry advice: Provide advice to the industry, including trade associations and individual companies, and deliver verbal updates at various meetings.
- Committee support: Provide support to FDF's Nutrition Committee and Diet and Health Committee, as well as ad-hoc working groups.
Requirements – essential
- Degree in nutrition, dietetics, food technology, food science or related subject
- Knowledge of food policy as it relates to diet, health and nutrition, and the food industry
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to critically evaluate evidence and stay updated on relevant research
- Confident to provide verbal updates to groups and 1:1
- Ability to present complex information simply and accurately
- Strong time management skills with the ability to work across a variety of different policy areas, managing multiple deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships within companies and with key external stakeholders
Requirements - desirable
- Registered dietitian, associate or registered nutritionist
- Experience of working for a trade association or similar member-led organisation
- Experience of working with the food industry
- Experience of working on projects relating to reformulation, new product development or health metrics
- Committee secretariat experience
To apply for the Senior Diet and Health Executive role, please send us your CV and salary expectations, along with a cover letter illustrating why you’d be a great candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 4 December, 5:30pm
Due to the high number of applications, we are unable to get back to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
First stage interviews will take place from 11 – 13 December.
Food and Drink Federation (FDF) Scotland is the Scottish trade association for food and drink manufacturers. We are a division of the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) representing food and drink manufacturers across the UK.